Sunday, June 2, 2013

Prefontaine Classic











































I grew up in a family that LOVED track and field. My sister was an avid runner and was in many state meets that were held on the University of Oregon campus. Whenever we went, we always stayed at the River Valley Hotel and I have such fond memories of it there.

Last summer my parents went to the Olympics and ended up becoming good friends with a Matt Centrowitz. Matt trains here in Portland with Alberto Salazar. We have met him a couple of times and he was gracious enough to offer tickets to the Prefontaine Classic. um......YES!

We decided to make it a family vacation to Eugene. SO MUCH FUN. 

When we got to the hotel all of the international athletes were there, many of whom Henry and I recognized from the Olympics. I was starstruck and Frances and Henry's eyes were HUGE watching them. It was 75 and perfect so we walked to the stadium along a beautiful river path. A little too long for the kids, but so pretty. IT was exactly what my dad used to make me do as a kid -- and I think remember complaining too. I am becoming my father.

We finally got to famous track field and the seats were SO great. Third row in the middle.  The best part was that we were with all the family and friends of the runners. Talk about emotional! I got teary eyed and a huge lump in my throat everytime a parent's kid was up. The kids got to go down and "high five" the winners as they made their victory lap- definitely a highlight for them,
 
The competition was insane. Lots of world records broken. The most emotional was Mary Cain broke the high school record of beating 2 min in the 800. She is so adorable. 

The kids had a great time.....well Maggie liked it, and then endured.
 
We then had a wonderful evening (tested out Falling Sky Brewery...yummy!) and Sunday am in Eugene. Henry befriended four adorable girls at the pool (is he flirting already?) and we found an awesome park. Eugene is definitely a great city for kids, especially when sunny.  The last picture was run from my run this morning (the clouds broke and it got sunny by the time we went outside). 



No comments: