Wednesday, March 30, 2011

RIP RILEY









It has been a rough week in our house. On Saturday my mom took Riley, our dog (shared with Joanie and Jimbo) to the vet and they told her he had cancer and he was in pain. She called to tell me the news and I just started crying. When I hung up, Henry asked me what was wrong and I explained that if Riley lived, he would be in a lot of pain and uncomfortable OR the doctor could give him something that could help him die without pain. Henry looked at me and said "Wow, neither option is good ..is it?". Dead on. Monday night we had a "celebration of his life" party with Riley and my mom gave him a bowl of ice cream....Riley was in shock....he wasn't sure if he should/could eat it. We hugged him, thanked him for all that he gave to us, and said our goodbyes...and then cried the whole drive home and rest of the night. We really loved that dog - he was sweet, kind and handled all the tugs, pulls, yells and screams of the kids. Francie and Henry adored him as their buddy. Our house feels a lot more empty. Sweet Henry created this "memorial" to Riley in which he wrote all the things he loved about him. Thanks for all the love you gave us Riley - you will be missed.

4 comments:

dana z said...

Oh, Colleen. So sad for you guys. Riley was an awesome dog who had an aweosme life with lots of love.

Kelley said...

Oh what awful news. I know how tough this is and I really feel for you guys...what a great tribute to him though...you should be so proud of Henry and his memorial, made me cry for sure. XOXO

Grammy Kris said...

Riley was a lucky dog because he had so many good people in his life. I know how sad you all must be and how much you'll miss him. You'll cherish all the wonderful memories you have of Riley, and Henry's tribute will ensure that you'll never forget! My sympathies to you all.

Unknown said...

i have tears in my eyes. Been there and done that. You had a great dog and he had great "families."