Friday, October 28, 2011

Two Year Anniversary

The 2nd year anniversary of Gordon's heart transplant was October 18th. Pretty amazing how far he has come and how much our family has gained from him getting a new lease on life. He has grown incredibly close in our children, partly because in living here he gets to see them every week. He has met and fallen in love with Maggie -- something that would not have happened without a new heart. In the lovely way that reciprocity seems to flow throughout life, after helping him get through being sick and the transplant, he now helps us immensely. Last year I was able to volunteer in Henry's class because Gordon helped me with Frances and this year I am working from home on Monday afternoon's because he is here to help.


I have to also admit that his anniversary also always makes me incredibly sad and heartbroken for the other family that lost their loved one. It is a surreal dichotomy to be celebrating one's life, while also being devastated for another family that must be reeling from the realization that another year has gone by without their loved one.


This year I took a picture of Gordon with the kids that I plan to send to the family to show them the gift that their son gave to our family. It is my hope that it will be bring them some peace in looking at the picture and seeing the love and special bond their son helped make possible. 

No comments: