Monday, October 31, 2011

Lovely Lilly


In the Arboretum, next to Henry and Frances's school,  there is wonderful tree that Henry's class used to hike to. They named her Lilly. They studied her. They drew her. The loved her.

A couple of weeks ago I hiked up there with Maggie and some homeless teens had vandalized her (spray painted horrible, hateful things) and all the other trees in the area. Beer bottles and trash was everywhere -- in this beautiful, idyllic spot. I was so angry. 

Today, Frances's class hiked up there. When I asked her about Lilly she said "They cut down Lilly". I literally got a HUGE lump in my throat. I asked the teacher and she said it was true. They did a bunch of work to recreate the area so more people will hike there and less vandalism will happen.

I told Henry today on the way home and when I looked back in the car, he had huge tears streaming down his face, which then made me cry.

Amazing how connected you can be to a tree. I honestly feel heart broken.  Above are some pictures taken under the shade of wonderful Lilly.

No comments: