Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A card to a new world



As many of you know, we have been doing a library tour. Of the 16 in the Portland area, we have visited 14 (only two more!). Lately Henry and I have been talking about how it might be time for him to get his own Library card. Well....Friday was the day! He was so excited...and I was "THAT MOM" who was taking pictures and stumbling over her words with pride. The librarian thought I was seriously out of control taking pictures with my cell phone (why oh why did I forget the camera for such a big day!). Henry signed his name on the card and he was off!

Then, light magic, on Saturday we pulled out the Level 1 chapter book I had bought him that we had been saving for when "he was ready". Yeah....well.....we opened it up.....and he read the whole first chapter on his own. Here is how it then went:
Me: Henry - who read this to you before?
Henry: NO one mom, you wanted to wait.
Me: How do you know the words then?
Henry: Moooom - I am reading!.

At this point I did what any parent would do -- I got teary eyed....and SCREAMED for Mark. Mark thought someone was hurt. It is awesome!!!

Today he went to camp and I wrote him a note and put it in his lunch sack. He got home and then read it to me and told me it was fun to read a note from me in the middle of the day.
INSANE. SO exciting. Literally, the next chapter in our little boys life!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love this post. What a proud moment for you both!